
Now I am a student of Music. I play the bassoon, piano, and organ. I am a music director and orchestra junkie. I have been classically trained and I'm trying to find the joy in music theory. My biggest crutch is that I never really began learning theory until I was 16 years old. I finally had a piano teacher that was qualified enough to teach me the basics of the basics.
I am still basically at the kindergarten level of technical musical training. And I have 4 more semesters (1.5 years) left to learn it all so I can graduate. Basically, I could sum up my entire educational experience thus far as "a struggle." Or maybe, I should actually say my educational experience for the last three weeks has been "a struggle."
I thought this was what I wanted to do, but actually I'm pretty sure what I wanted to do the whole time was learn french, and study three-dimensional art. Don't get me wrong...music is awesome, but I'm not so sure I want to put in all the effort so I can analyze music like a pro and become a better musician. It took me 7 semesters to figure out that I wanted to be a music major, and 1 to figure out that's not actually what I wanted to do afterall...
I do not see a future in music for myself. I see a future in crafty things. I won't even be able to afford to purchase my own instrument until I am already dead. So that really doesn't leave me anywhere useful. It's not like symphony orchestra's just loan out bassoons...or maybe they do because they're so dang expensive.
Alas, I know learning all of this stuff about music will help me in the long run (for what, yet--I'm not sure) but right now, all I feel is a really big sense of urgency to just finish my degree and get out of Southeastern Idaho. For me, it has run it's course, and now it's time to move on to something new.

No comments:
Post a Comment