Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yams, Baked Chicken, a Clean Tub, and one late night.

Last night we got home a little earlier than normal... around 7 pm.

I was tired of not having time to cook dinner or do anything else besides homework.  And I was tired of being tired.  But mostly I was tired of having a dirty apartment and no good warm food for dinner.  So I caved, blew off my homework and decided to do wifely things.

Baked Chicken

`Preheat your oven to about 400F
`Two large eggs broken into the dish you are baking your chicken in (forked into an eggy mixture)
`Three (or four depending on the pan you use... I used a blue glass pyrex baking dish that only fit three "whole chicken legs" in it) Whole Chicken Legs - dump those in the egg mixture until fully coated.
`Salt
`Pepper
`Garlic Powder
     All those to taste
`Some flour (put all of this stuff on both sides of the chicken legs)
`Bread Crumbs (you can use plain or italian... I turned my plain Bread Crumbs into Italian Style)
`Pop it in the oven for like 40-50 minutes or until no more pink chicken remains.
(Don't let your chicken hang out thawed in your fridge for too long...it tastes a little funny)
`When you pull out the chicken just let it rest for a little while... it won't get cold, I promise.

Pseudo Candied Yams

`Boil a pot of water
`Cut up four yams however you would like them
`Steam the yams until tender enough to poke through with a fork without resistance
While your yams are being steamed:
`obtain a few tablespoons of butter, melt it. Dumb it in the bowl you want to serve your yams in.
`A little less than 2/3 c of brown sugar -mix the butter and the sugar together until it's nice and thick and wet looking.
`dump some raisins in your heavenly mixture - i don't know how many... a lot
`put your steamed yams in your bowl of buttery, sugary, raisny goodness.
`Stir until well coated.

All of this together took me approximately an hour-ish to make.  If you time it right, it should take little more than that.

It feels good to have a clean house, and it feels even better to wake up to a clean and empty sink, clean laundry and a clean tub.  This morning I was going to wake up at 4 to do my homework that I blew off last night but we didn't get to bed until 11 so I decided to cut my losses and be happy that we have a clean house and that I have a job which allows us to buy groceries and pay for our car among other things monthly.

Sometimes I forget how blessed I am.

Even better, I am really excited for this much needed break from reality.  Vacation and my birthday and Thanksgiving all in one.

and the best part of all?

I get to spend seven whole days with my great husband without interruption.  No school, no work, no other obligations.  Just Family.

Happy Holidays Everybody.
Eat lots of food, and be happy with your family.

No comments: